Islamic knowledge in the light of Quran and Sunnah.Daily Hadith. Islamic question answer, Quran Tafseer, Dua, Ramadan reminders, Salah times, Hajj and Zakat Post. Frequently asked Islamic question answer, five pillars of islam and Fatawa from Manhaz Us Salaf.

Whether one's ex-father-in-law is a Mahram or not

Whether one's ex-father-in-law is a Mahram or not

Your Eminence, Shaykh ‘Abdul-‘Aziz ibn ‘Abdullah Ibn Baaz, may Allah safeguard you! 

As-salamu alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh (May Allah's Peace, Mercy, and Blessings be upon you!) To proceed... 

I married a man and gave birth to children then he divorced me and kept the children with his father. I need to visit my children at the house of my ex-husband's father from now and then. I go with my current husband there who does not mind doing so and my ex-husband's father sees my face. My brothers try to prevent me and some of them say that my ex-husband's father is no longer a Mahram (spouse or unmarriageable relative) to me. I have the following inquiries: 

First: Is my ex-father-in-law no longer a Mahram after his son has divorced me? 

Second: If he is still a Mahram, should I visit him and keep kinship ties with him? 

Third: Am I to be blamed if I go to my children and show myself to this man, who is their grandfather, knowing that I do not show myself to my ex-husband as he has married and lives in another place? Please advise, may Allah reward you with the best! 

A: As-salatnu ‘alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh 

It is permissible to show yourself before your ex-husband's father as he is a Mahram to you even if his son has divorced you. 
If this man is a good and righteous person, it is permissible to visit him with your husband or Mahram at appropriate times. It is even permissible for you to visit him without your husband or Mahram if his house is close and you need not travel or incur hardships to go there, provided that your husband agrees to that.
May Allah guide us all to what pleases Him! As-salamu ‘alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Grand Mufty of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
‘Abdul-‘Aziz ibn ‘Abdullah ibn Baaz

[Majmoo 'al-Fataawa ibn Baaz, Vol.: 21; pp. 22 - 23]
.
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Islamic Post

Translate

Recent Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *