Islamic knowledge in the light of Quran and Sunnah.Daily Hadith. Islamic question answer, Quran Tafseer, Dua, Ramadan reminders, Salah times, Hajj and Zakat Post. Frequently asked Islamic question answer, five pillars of islam and Fatawa from Manhaz Us Salaf.

What is Itekaaf | Ramadan QA

What is Itekaaf | Ramadan QA

➖➖➖
QUESTIONS ON FASTING IN RAMADAAN
➖➖➖

QUESTION 22

➖➖➖

al-I’tekaaf

I‘tekaaf means staying in the masjid to worship Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala and draw close to Him. 

◽Allaah says:

“and We commanded Ibrāhīm and Ismail that they should purify My House (the Kaa‘bah) for those who are circumambulating it, or staying (I’tekaaf), or bowing or prostrating themselves (there, in prayer)” 

(Surah al-Baqarah 2:125)


And al-I’tekaaf is a confirmed Sunnah of the Prophet sal Allaahu Alayhi wa sallam, and the Sunnah of his Sahaabah. 


🍃 Aa'ishah radhi Allaahu anhaa said:

“The Prophet sal Allaahu Alayhi wa sallam used to observe i'tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadaan until Allaah took his soul, then his wives observed i’tikaaf after he was gone.”

(al-Bukhaari, 2026; Muslim, 1172)

🔹 What is the purpose of observing Itekaaf?

The purpose of Itekaaf is to seclude oneself for some time in the masjid to worship Allaah and to seek Laylatul Qadr. 

That was the main reason for the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) observed Itekaaf. 


🍃 Muhammad (ﷺ) said regarding Laylatul Qadr:

 “I observed i’tekaaf during the first ten days seeking this night, then I observed i’tekaaf during the middle ten days. 

Then someone came and said to me that it is in the last ten days, so whoever among you wishes to observe i’tekaaf let him do so.” 

So the people observed i’tekaaf with him.” (Saheeh Muslim 1167)


🔹Where is I'tekaaf done?

Al-I’tekaaf is valid ONLY if it’s done in the MASJID. 

And it’s NOT valid anywhere else. 


🍃 Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen said: 

“Shar’i I’tekaaf must be in the masjid, because Allaah says: “… while you are in I‘tekaaf in the masaajid” [al-Baqarah 2:187].”

(Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb(8/176)


🔹How long should I do I’tekaaf for?

The Sunnah I’tekaaf lasts for ten nights.


🍃 Aa’ishah radhi Allaahu anhaa said:

“The Prophet Muhammad (3ﷺ) used to observe I’tekaaf in the last ten nights of Ramadhaan.” 

(al-Bukhaari 2026; Muslim, 1172)


🔹But I can’t stay for 10 days. Can I stay for a few days or even a few hours?


Although it’s Sunnah to stay for the whole ten nights, we can stay for less than that, if it’s not possible some reason, even if it’s for an hour.   


🍃 Ibn Hazm said: 

“I’tekaaf in the language of the Arabs means staying… any stay in the masjid for the sake of Allaah with the intention of drawing closer to Him is i’tekaaf… whether that is for a short time or a long time, because the Qur’aan and Sunnah do not specify any number or length of time.” 

(Al-Muhalla, 5/179)


🔹When do I begin my I'tekaaf?

The last ten nights start with the night of the 21st of Ramadhaan. 

And since the night comes before the day in Islaam, we should start Itekaaf when the sun sets on the day of the 20th fast. 


🍃 Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen said:

“Entering the place of i’tekaaf for the last ten nights of Ramadhaan may be done when the sun sets on the night of the twenty-first, (the night after the 20th day of Ramadhaan), because that is the time when the last ten nights begin.”

[Fataawa al-Siyaam (p. 503)]


🔹When does it end?

I’tekaaf ends when the sun sets on the last day of Ramadhaan and we see the new moon of Shawwaal. 

🍃 Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen said:

“He should come out of i’tekaaf when Ramadhaan ends. 

Ramadhaan ends when the sun sets on the night of Eid.”

(Fataawa al-Siyaam, p. 502)


🔹What should I do in I’tekaaf?

The purpose of I’tekaaf is to seclude ourselves for the worship of Allaah and seek Laylatul Qadr. 

So we should keep to ourselves and get busy with Nawaafil, reading Qur’aan, making dhikr, Taubah, Duaa etc during our I’tekaaf, to the best of our ability. 

We shouldn’t be wasting time or talk unnecessarily. 


🔹Can I talk to people or visit with them?

We may talk to people “briefly”, but we shouldn’t get too carried away and therefore get distracted from our main purpose of I’tekaaf... which is the ibaadah of Allaah.


#Itekaf #Ramadan #QA

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Islamic Post

Translate

Recent Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *